Monday, April 13, 2009

Pepino's Mexican Grill

I was on one of the trucks for work the other day, and stopped at Pepino's Mexican Grill for lunch. Located at 3832 SE Hawthorne Blvd in Portland, Oregon, Pepino's is a quick enough, reasonably priced burrito place that's definitely worth trying.
I tried the Fajita Burrito, which contains grilled onions, red and green peppers, pinto beans, rice, Jack cheese, salsa, and guacamole. At $4.25, it's totally worth it.

While on the way to Pepino's, I saw a poster on a utility pole that mentioned Noah. I don't remember what it said, but it got me thinking about that really famous Noah. You know, the Ark Noah. Before the flood, there would be all these different bodies of water; Lakes, rivers, ponds, oceans, seas, and so on. These different bodies of water all had different PH levels, different salt content, etc., and had different types of fish living in them. If the whole world flooded, all these bodies of water would mix together. I don't know if you'd get one big mass of fresh water, or salt water, or maybe really dilluted salt water. Any way I look at it, I see conditions that are gonna be lethal to half of the fish in the world. Any way you arrange it, either nearly every freshwater fish is gonna die, or nearly every saltwater fish will. It has been suggested to me that God just doesn't care about fish.

The Fajita Burrito comes in a red tomato tortilla, and wrapped in foil. The vegetables are well grilled, not slimy and gross, but not raw, either. The guacamole tastes fresh, and not out of a tube or bag. Tube and bag Guacamole are fucking gross, by the way. That shit needs to be made fresh, dammit. While I normally prefer black beans, the pinto beans were fantastic. While not a terribly spicy burrito, the hot sauce as salsas there did a more than sufficient job.

Today, the two-year-old granddaughter of one of my coworkers is in the office. She's running around, generally being a two-year old. There's parts of parenting I know I'm gonna be terrible at. I know you're not supposed to laugh when a kid misbehaves, because that reinforces what ever bad behavior is going on, but sometimes, I can't help it. I have a cousin who used to have trouble with the word "Frog", so it would sound like "Fuck". I can't tell you how many times we asked that kid to say "Motherfrogger."

Pepino's gives you a pretty decent handful of chips with your meal, though they aren't unlimited. However, they give you enough that it doesn't really matter. Maybe if you like chips more than I do, it would be an issue, I don't know. Not too greasy, and certainly very fresh, the chips are great.


I really need to stop writing these reviews while I'm hungry. It's a bad habit. I end up staring at the pictures I took, wishing a burrito would just materialize before me. So far, it hasn't happened.

Easter happened yesterday. I've always thought it should be a bigger deal. I don't see why Christmas is the huge holiday it is, while Easter gets kinda brushed under the rug. Sure, Christmas is Jesus' birthday, but every asshole has a birthday. Jesus is the only guy with a Rose-from-the-dead-three-days-after-getting-the-shit-murdered-out-of-him Day. That seems like a way bigger deal to me



As you can see here, the burrito is packed with grilled fajita goodness. Aside from being a pretty big burrito, it's a pretty awesome burrito. We've stumbled upon both quality and quantity here. Between the reasonable price, the quick service, and the overall scrumptiousness, I'd say Pepino's is a must.

No comments:

Post a Comment