Monday, June 1, 2009

Muchas Gracias Veggie Burrito.

I'm visiting friends down in Eugene, and got to wandering the other night. Fortunately, I found a Muchas Gracias. I'm not sure if every Muchas Gracias is open 24 hours, but every one I've been to is. It was pretty late, and rather hazy, but I asked for a veggie burrito. According to the receipt, I got a Bean burrito with extra lettuce and extra salsa. I don't care what it was called, it was delicious.
White the presentation is a bit lacking, the food itself is awesome. It's big enough for the $4.60 price, and it's crazy filling.
It's full of rice, beans, lettuce, tomatoes, onions, cheese, and salsa, with pretty good ratios. A bit heavy on the lettuce, but not unforgivable.


My brother and I watched a marathon of deadliest Warrior yesterday. I had never seen it before. Basically, they have two warriors from bits of history, and argue about who would win in a fight. They do tests, then run some computer simulation that's supposed to figure it out. Every episode was a bigger let down then the last. They spent the whole time testing weapons and armour and shit, then they finish it with a really lame dramatization of what would happen. The weapon tests are the best part of the show, because the use those fancy ballistic gel torsos with fake bones in them. They also use dead pigs. Like a lot of dead pigs. I probably saw dead ten pigs get cut in half yesterday. That's just cut in half.... there were even more just getting cut up a bunch. They even tested a katana by seeing how many dead pigs it could chop through.... they just had a big stack of dead pigs for the guy to chop into. I think he got through like two and a half of them, which was impressive, but gross.

The lettuce is crisp, the tomatoes are fresh, as are the onions. The rice is pretty good, and goes well with the beans. There's guacamole which tastes pretty fresh, and the salsa is great. The tortilla has a slight flakiness to it. The restaurant has a lot of hipsters in it. Like a LOT, and I was there at 2:30 in the morning. This is probably just because I'm in Eugene. They don't give you any chips, but I got a cup of water, which was pretty good.


My brother is watching the wide receiver for the Denver Broncos respond to accusations that he's been beating his wife or girlfriend or something. I love watching athletes speak publicly, because it's so clear that's not what they get paid to do. The pause between a question and an answer is gigantic, and the answer is always so clumsy. Now he's just staring down at his notes. This guy is good.

This is a tricky burrito to review. There's nothing in it that's particularly outstanding, it's just all around really good. It's like a meal just conveniently wrapped up, as a little food unit. I guess any burrito could be described that way, but it feels more appropriate here. It's a solid, reliable burrito. I guess potatoes might be nice in there.

2 comments:

  1. I like it that you IMMEDIATELY follow "I think he got through like two and a half (pigs), which was impressive, but gross," with "The lettuce is crisp, the tomatoes are fresh..." Not the most logical transition, but you made it work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Why would you order extra lettuce then say it had a bit too much lettuce?

    ReplyDelete